Events: “Re-envisioning Islamic Scholarship” Book Launch
In a joint event that encompasses Maqasid Institute (MI), Maqasid Institute Malaysia (MIM), International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM) and ISTAC Publications comes this book launch event and online discussion of Prof. Jasser Auda’s latest publication “Re-envisioning Islamic Scholarship: Maqasid Methodology as a New Approach”.
This book is timely and deserves a wide readership. Professor Jasser Auda, President of Maqasid Institute, in this work masterfully focalises the Quran and Sunnah in order to integrate scholarship across time and disciplinary boundaries. This is done to highlight that human thought and action are closely interconnected in a purposeful universe. Through a five-step methodology, he proposes that scholars and practitioners in all fields of knowledge seek divine guidance through cycles of reflection on the sources of revelation and discover the interconnectedness of reality.
In the process, the objectives of revelational guidance would manifest through the process of ‘emergence’, which is premised upon deep understandings of the concepts, objectives, values, commands, universal laws, groups and proofs. Such an approach may alter and shape our understandings of the reality of the universe and human society and help us to re-envision public policies, research agendas, educational institutes, and organisational strategies. This approach is significant in a world that has become accustomed to individualism, inequality, fragmentation, and loss of meaning.
The book launch event will feature several renowned Muslim academics and scholars who will share their insights and perspectives on the book and its reform proposals each according to his field of expertise with the author Prof. Jasser Auda, President of Maqasid Institute, as follows:
1. Professor Emeritus Tan Sri Dato’ Dzulkifli bin Abdul Razak, an education specialist and thinker, and the current Rector of the International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM)
2. Professor Dr. Abdul Aziz Berghout, Dean of International Institute of Islamic Thought (ISTAC), IIUM)
3. Prof. Datuk Dr. Osman Bakar, renowned Muslim philosopher and thinker
4. Sheikh M. Sharif el-Banna, representing the book publisher, Claritas Books, and also Board Member of Maqasid Institute
5. Dr. Zaid Barzinji, Executive Director of Maqasid Institute
Moderated by Motaz Al-Thaher, Manager of Maqasid Scholars Fellowship Program at Maqasid Institute and PhD candidate at IIUM considered to be the biggest research Islamic University and one of the most influential Islamic University globally.