Advanced Course in Maqasid Methodology
This course guides knowledge seekers & researchers to approach the revelation (Quran & Sunnah) for perspective and answers to address your real-life challenges, questions and issues, and global phenomena (poverty, climate change..etc). Learners will utilize the Maqasid Methodology, an original and comprehensive understanding drawn from revelation through contemporary study. This course also addresses the limitations in contemporary Islamic studies, which have had a significant impact on how Islam is understood and practiced.
Monday, May 1st, 2023
Sunday, July 30th, 2023
12 Weeks at 4 hrs/week
36 hours (12 contact hours & 24 hours self-learning)
- Course Fee: FREE
- Administrative Fee: 25 US $
- You can Apply for fee waiver
Professor Jasser Auda is a scholar of Islam. His latest contribution is a New Maqasid Methodology that aims to bring about a restructuring of Islamic scholarship around a complex network of the higher objectives/Maqasid of the Quran and Prophetic traditions. He is Al-Shatibi Chair for Maqasid Studies at the International Peace University in South Africa, a Founding and Board Member of the International Union for Muslim Scholars, an Executive Member of the Fiqh Council of North America, a Member of the European Council for Fatwa and Research, and the Chairman of the Canadian Fiqh Council.
- Spring runs from May to July
- Fall (autumn) runs from September to November
- Winter runs from January to March
The course consists of 6 units. There are 12 asynchronous online video lectures (50 minutes each), with study materials available online via a learning management system.
Who is this course for?
- Those looking to learn how to develop authentic Wahy (revelation) based Islamic perspectives on current challenges facing humanity.
- Those interested in contributing to a new understanding and knowledge to address current challenges.
- Those interested in contemporary tajdid (renewal) and Islah (improvement) and how Islam can make a positive difference.
Participants are expected to
- Submit their answers to thought-provoking questions after each lecture.
- Participate in the discussion forum after each unit.
- Submit a short paper (4-7 pages) addressing a question or an objective of interest which you would like to use the maqasid methodology to address.
- A Certificate of attendance will be available to those who have completed 80% of the lectures and exercises.
- Learners who complete all course requirements (reflection exercise, forum participation, and submit a short paper (4-7 pages) will be awarded a Postgraduate Certificate in Maqasid Methodology.